Aeronca Model 65TC (Observation)

GENERAL INFO:
MAKE:
Aeronca
NUMBER BUILT:
154
MISSION:
Observation
NICKNAME:
Defender
Located in Hangar 37
BACKGROUND:

The Aeronca TC-65 Defender was an American high-wing light plane of the 1940s. Aeronautical Corporation of America formally changed its name to Aeronca Aircraft Corporation in 1941, and the onset of World War II ushered in a new era for Aeronca aircraft. Production of the TC-65 Defender was increased for use by the U.S. government's new Civilian Pilot Training (CPT) program, created to train new pilots for possible wartime service.

Eight private aircraft were in the air over Oahu at time of the December 7th attack on Pearl Harbor. Four were from K-T Flying Service, two from Gambo Flying Service, one from Andrews Flying Service, and one from Hui Lei Flying Club. Local attorney and territorial legislator, Roy Vitousek, and his teenage son Martin were flying this Aeronca 65TC Defender toward Pearl Harbor that fateful Sunday morning.

According to Martin, they stayed in the air during part of the attack, circling at 2,000 feet to avoid the Japanese planes. Upon taking fire from enemy aircraft, they immediately returned to John Rodgers Field and executed a safe landing. John Rodgers Field is now Honolulu International Airport.

The Vitouseks were fortunate. Of the eight pilots in the air that day, three were shot down, two of whom died. One was forced to bail out. Two landed safely. Two pilots went missing and are presumed dead.

CHARACTERISTICS:
CONTRACTOR:
DATE DEPLOYED:
PROPULSION:
SPAN:
LENGTH:
HEIGHT:
MAXIMUM SPEED:
SERVICE CEILING:
RANGE:
CREW:
ARMAMENT:
Aeronca
1937
Continental YO-173-3
35 feet
21 feet 10 inches
9 feet 1 inches
95 kn; 175 km/h (109 mph)
15,000 ft (4,600 m)
218 mi
1 Pilot
None
PHOTOS:
65tc
65tc_4 65tc_1 65tc_2 65tc_3

Facebook
flickr
twitter
You Tube
Hangar Talk

Pearl Harbor | ©2013 Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor is a 501(c) 3 non-profit
organization which is dependent on its members, volunteers, and donors for support.