Mikoyan-Gurevich Mig-15 Fagot
in Hangar 39
High-performance jet fighter
The Soviet Union developed the MiG-15 following World War II and the fighter entered service in 1949. In 1950, the Soviets began production of a version with added capability: the MiG-15bis had a more powerful engine and hydraulically boosted ailerons. During the KoreanWar, both versions of theMiG-15 operated extensively against United Nations forces. By 1952, the Soviets provided the MiG-15 (NATO code name "Fagot") to a number of communist satellite nations, including North Korea.
A defecting North Korean pilot flew an advanced version of theMiG-15 to Kimpo Air Base in South Korea on September 21, 1953. The aircraft provided the NATO forces with important intelligence data. After considerable flight-testing, the United States offered to return the aircraft, but the offer was ignored by North Korea. In November 1957, it was relocated to the NationalMuseumof the United States Air Force where it is available for public viewing.
One 5,952-pound thrust Klimov VK-1 turbojet
35 ft 7 inches (10.8 m)
12 ft 2 inches (3.7 m)
8,115 pounds (3680.9 kg) empty; Maximum takeoff 13,327 pounds (6045 kg)
668 mph (1075 km/h)
50,800 feet (15.5 km)
1,156 miles (1860.4 km)