Bell UH-1 Iroquois
Located in Hangar 39
First flight, October 1956;
General support, air assault, cargo transport, aero-medical evacuation, search and rescue, electronic warfare, and ground attack
The remarkable Bell UH-1 Iroquois (Huey) was the quintessential all-purpose military helicopter for over three decades. Since its delivery in 1959, all four U. S. armed services, as well as international forces, utilized the UH-1 for missions ranging from mountain rescue to troop transport, fromanti-armor to anti-submarine warfare. The Iroquois got the nickname "Huey" from its original Army designation, the HU-1. It was re-designated UH-1 in 1962, under the unified tri-service designation scheme.
Bell produced two major versions of the UH-1: the single-engine Models 204 and 205, each with several variants. Models 204 and 205 were skid-equipped helicopters with a single two-blade, all-metal, anti-torque tail rotor mounted on the left side of the tail-boom. The all-metal, semi-monocoque fuselage could accommodate two crewmen and seven passengers in the Model 204, and two crewmen and eleven passengers in the Model 205. These UH-1 models served as gunships, in addition to casualty evacuation, search and rescue, vertical envelopment, attack transport, anti-submarine warfare, and general utility roles during their long service life.
Pratt andWhitney T400-CP-400
57.3 feet (17.5 m) HEIGHT: 14.9 feet (4.5 m)
10,500 pounds (4762.7 kg)
152 knots (175 mph / 281.6 km/h)
14,200 feet (4.3 km) - limited to 10,000 feet by oxygen requirements
172 nautical miles (197.8 miles / 318.5 km)