NEWS & EVENTS
Ford Island Control Tower Dedication - December 7, 2011
The newly stabilized Ford Island Control Tower at Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor was dedicated in a ceremony on the Tower Lawn, Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 11:00AM, a part of the Pearl Harbor 70th Anniversary Ceremonies.
Showing off the first phase of the monumental stabilization work that has been done to save the historic landmark where the first attack alert was broadcast on December 7, 1941, the Holland American Legion Band played while the flag was raised on the top and a T-6 Texan made several passes over the assembled crowd of 200.
Speakers at the event included: Acting Governor/Lt. Gov. Brian Schatz(Governor Neil Abercrombie who was instrumental in garnering federal funds to begin the preservation efforts is off island at a Governor's Conference); Executive Director Kenneth DeHoff; Museum Board President Clint Churchill; Lance Wilhelm, senior vice president of Kiewit Building Group, the contractor for the Tower; and CAPT Jeff James, commander of Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.
Work on this first phase of renovation began January 2011. Mason Architects was the architectural design firm. Kiewit Building Group was the contractor. Both are in Honolulu.
A special Commemorative 70th Anniversary Coin will be available in the Museum Store.
To completely restore the Ford Island Control Tower, it is estimated that $7.5 million will be needed. Hawaii Governor Neil Abercrombie when he was in Congress was instrumental in helping to secure $3.8 million through the Department of Defense appropriations for the stabilization and restoration of an historic landmark. This allowed the Museum to begin work. The Museum is in a capital campaign to raise the remainder needed for the complete restoration. Donations may be made online at our donation page.
The Ford Island Control Tower complex constructed in 1941 consists of a 3rd level Aerological Center and Observation Deck on top of the 2-story Operations Building, and the Air Traffic Control Center on top a 158-foot steel water tank tower. It played a major role in the naval activity at Pearl Harbor, especially during World War II. The Tower is registered as a Category I structure in the Pearl Harbor Naval Base Historic Preservation Plan of 1978.
Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor is open 9am to 5pm daily and is accessed by air conditioned shuttle buses from the USS Arizona Memorial/Pearl Harbor Visitor Center. Daily, visitors from all over the world view the vintage aircraft, enjoy hands on technology experiences including combat flight simulators, hear moving stories told by aviation-experienced docents, and see "A Day That Shall Live In Infamy" through historic films and audio. The Museum gift shop and restaurant are unique in their offerings and their authentic 1940s ambiance.