Lt Ted Shealy’s Restoration Shop
Pacific Aviation Museum’s Ford Island location, in the middle of Hawaii’s Pearl Harbor, remains one of the most historically significant sites in America. The hangars that house the museum survived the Japanese Imperial Navy’s surprise air attack on December 7, 1941. The attack that triggered the United States’ entry into World War II.
Hangar 79 encloses two acres of floor space and at each end, the towering door’s blue glass windows are still riddled with bullet holes left by the Japanese attack. During the war it was a maintenance and engine repair facility, filled with fighters, bombers and patrol aircraft that were based in Pearl Harbor or en route to the front lines.
Our museum has used Hangar 79 as an aircraft restoration and exhibit construction facility since first occupying the site in February 2006. It’s filled with an array of vintage aircraft awaiting preparation for future displays. In 2007, Mike and Carol Shealy approached the museum, wanting to fund a display to highlight the huge contribution aircraft maintenance personnel made to military aviation. The result: a restoration shop in Hangar 79 in its original WWII maintenance configuration.
Not to be missed is the Aviator’s Tour, a behind-the-scenes look at our Hangar 79 Restoration Shop. You’ll see aircraft such as the F15 Eagle and the F-14 Tomcat. Learn about aircraft manufacturing. If invited by a docent, shoot a rivet and take home a “Rosie the Riveter” souvenir.